Tuesday, March 9, 2010

CSA!

Just a heads up! If you're interested in joining a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), now's the time to act.

A CSA is a way to purchase a subscription for a full seasons worth of fresh farm produce. Most of the CSA's here run from the beginning of May (or June) to the end of October. There are options for fresh flowers, eggs, and other items for your subscription. The farm can have drop off locations, deliver to your home/work, or reserve your box at their farm.

For your $$, you get a random selection of in-season produce (fruits, veggies, herbs - depending on the farm) in a bushel or half-bushel box. It's almost like getting a Top Chef/Chopped mystery basket every week.

I like mysteries. & intrigue. & cooking!

I'm going to sign up for my first CSA this year. Very exciting!! I'm eyeing Bigg Riggs' CSA, which has a pick-up option right near my gym every Sunday at the Farmer's Market. So, I can always pick up my supplementals at the Farmer's Market when I scrounge through my box of surprises.

For those of you interested, you can find Farmer's Markets & CSAs through LocalHarvest.org. (Also, if you search by zip code, be sure to zoom to get the slimmed list of what's closest. Otherwise, you've got a 50 mile range of places.)

Yay for spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment