Sunday, October 25, 2009

Apple Galette.

On Friday, we had some people over to play Winerd, which if you don't know is a wine-related board game. We asked the players to bring a dish or two for sharing. The man made two quiches - one with ham, spinach, cheese, milk & bacon - the other had spinach, cheese, and smoked sun-dried tomatoes. Both had gluten-free crusts, which I made from scratch adapting this recipe with gluten-free flour. Both quiches were excellent & from his family recipe.

I made an apple galette, which was delicious even cold. I followed the recipe from Epicurious (originally from Bon Appetit) to the T. We had an embarrassing moment with it. Everyone had arrived, & I put the galette in the oven at 450 degrees to start.

Then there was smoking. Lots & lots of smoking.

Apparently, the apricot jam partially trickled out of the galette, went down the flat baking sheet, & fell onto the burners. I lowered the temperature to 350 & left it in the oven. Thankfully, the crust hole seemed to be filled, & jam only ran a little.

The guests loved it, & they even raved about it the next day when we saw them again. They even liked the crust! (Which I used sorghum flour & brown rice flour as a substitute for all purpose flour.)

I'd give the recipe 4/5. The man said the same. Sadly, it was all gobbled up before I could remember to take a picture. But do make it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment